this i belive peer pressure and being a role model

kim - thousand palms ca, California

This I believe…

Peer pressure and being a role model..

The teenage life in an adult’s perspective is viewed as easy, simple, stress free and sometimes just simply carefree. But what some adult don’t know or may not understand that baggage young people drag along everyday in their lives. Peer pressure in high school has changed dramatically over the year’s sex, drugs, drinking and parties are what the in crowd does and some students are pressured to join in as young as fourteen years of age.

I believe that the morals of teenagers these years have decreased over the years and peer pressure has increased dramatically. I believe that students in high school as well in college peers pressure are a big part of the whole experience. As a young kid usually your parent chose your clothing they chose what you ate and they also chose the friends that you had. As you become more independent as a teen, independency becomes a bigger part of your life and it starts to be more important to a young adults. I believe that independency is a very important part of growing up. As becoming more independent your peers play a bigger role in your life it either will be a positive reinforcement or a negative one.

A few positive reinforcements would be joining a school clubs to be with close friends or joining school sports to stay busy or getting a job to have money to spend on themselves or to save for future spending like college. I believe that peer pressure can be a good thing figuring out who you are as a teen can be rough but figuring it out with the right people and experiencing it with the right people it is comforting to face challenges with bad peer pressure with close friends that are in the same good things that you are. Many peers can set good examples for teens having friends who are committed in doing good in school and being responsible and good overall kids can change peoples lives in a good way.

In my own experience in life I know I am not perfect but I have been put in the position where I have been told to be a role model to younger kids. I was a gymnast for twelve years and I had younger girls of the ages from ten years of age to thirteen that did the sport and looked up to me. When I couldn’t get a tumbling pass right I would try to set an example for the younger girls to not get to disappointed and to keep their heads up and try and try again. It was a big responsibility to have as a sixteen year old but I believe being a role model and having peers who support you in your hobbies makes you a more responsible person and well respected by others.