Family First

Michael - Palm Desert, California

Family First

Sunday evenings I usually find myself driving to the local skate park passing the same neighbor park every time. When I pass the park on Sundays I can be sure there will be a ton of Hispanics there which some people despise, but I find very intriguing. How come there aren’t other White, Asian, or Black families around spending time together enjoying themselves. I believe American’s have lost family values that other cultures hold to the highest esteem. Now a days I hear about more divorces than weddings. A large portion of my friends don’t spend time with family like I do personally.

It was my freshmen year of high school about a week before the holidays. My health teacher had a touching lecture on spending time with your family. He didn’t have any living relatives or childhood possessions he could hold to. It really touched me, I then realized how little time we devote to the ones we truly love. That weekend I went with my family to celebrate Christmas with my grandparents who have a hard time traveling due to their age. I had the best time I spent the whole day with them till it was time to leave. Two days later I was busy with yard work when my dad got a call. My grandmother had a heart attack and died. It hit like a wall of bricks. Later that week I laid her body to rest and paid my respects at her funeral. After the ordeal I thought back to my teacher’s lesson and realized things were going to be alright. I felt it was okay, I knew I had spent time with her before her last days so I had a chance to say bye in a sense.

That year I understood the value of family. My grandmother’s life was the first of my family to leave me. Now I can fully enjoy and appreciate the time I do have with my family. Even if I don’t necessarily want to visit family I will do it anyways because I know they won’t always be there. I feel people brush this off and don’t think anything of it. I know people that won’t talk to certain family members for stupid childish reasons. It makes me sick to see people waste away the relationships that are the strongest, through blood. Sometimes I wish instead of going to the skate park on Sundays I could go the park with my own family.