I Believe Music

Shiva - Windsor, California

Music. It’s what we all know, isn’t it? Maybe the first thought that would come to your head is a blast of drums and acoustics accompanied by wicked vocals. Or perhaps a classical piece performed by an orchestra. Maybe you like songs that make you want to dance, or enter into a relaxed euphoria. But the best part about music is the type that makes you click. That’s what I had difficulty finding until last year.

Up until high school, I had always tried to fit in. Any group I hung out with I always wore the same style clothes and tried to act the same as them. It was difficult, and I felt like water being put into different shaped jars each time I met a new group. I was either accepted or completely rejected by people, because I couldn’t be the same. Even though I didn’t notice it at the time, people who were close to me saw that this isn’t who I am supposed to be. And yet the same routine continued for a long time; up until freshmen year when I ‘discovered’ my music.

The first music that made me click was the Beatles. I had heard their music before, but I never truly listened to them thoroughly until last year. Their sounds were different and catchy, yet emotional and meaningful (not that the Yellow Submarine and the Octopus’s Garden make any sense). Yet that is when I had a sudden revelation, that music can actually change people. After that, I became truly passionate about music and dove deeper into it, always keeping it near me. Soon I had a wide variety of music- even silence began to have its own sound.

With this continuing, I eventually changed almost entirely within a matter of two years. I went from very shy and reserved to outgoing and innovative. I started to speak up for myself and became more able to stand on my own feet. I always accepted different ideas, as well as people because I know I am one, one way or another. And even though it took some time, I realized how I had changed so much subconsciously within the course of the first years of high school with help from my friends and family-and of course, music.

I had a very difficult time choosing between originality, creativity and innovation as the topic for my essay, yet I found that music contained all of these properties for me and would be a perfect example that many could relate to. I am satisfied with the person I have become and realized that it really is ok to be original. Now, I use my creativity to inspire others to discover themselves through different ways, and I have seen it work on many of my peers. Music helped me change both internally and externally into the person that you see standing before you today. That is why I believe music.