The Power of Money and Greed

Aubrey - Palm Desert, California

I love art — all kinds: painting, drawing, photography, singing, dancing, writing. It’s what I do, what I love, what I stand for. Art is not just something I love doing; it’s a passion – a craving. I crave art the way that people crave chocolate and salty chips. For me, there is nothing more satisfying than sitting down at a blank canvas or plain white paper after a long day, or taking off the camera lens to have a fresh look at the world. It seems like the obvious choice for a future profession of mine would have something to do with art, right? Wrong.

Being able to create art as a career would be my dream, but how many artists actually make it and become accomplished enough to have a steady income and support a family? The successful artists I know are few and far between. The other ones, well, they may make a buck here and there when they get lucky, but the spaces between those individual little successes are long and hard when it comes to making ends meet. How are they paying the rent? The utility bills? Buying food to eat? What kind of life is that? Creating art as a career would make me the happiest person in the world, but I want the good life. I want money. Possibly even more than happiness. Because I’m greedy.

That’s why, when I go to college next year, I’m going to the school of business, which, at this point, seems to be just about the polar opposite of an art conservatory. Maybe it’s not all my fault that I believe that money is more important than doing something you love. Look at the world that I, and the rest of my generation, have been growing up in. The media is continuously highlighting celebrities and their piles of money, all the expensive things they own, and their ritzy vacations on private yachts. Okay, so most of them inherited whatever money they have, but still, seeing all of these decadent and luxurious possessions makes me want to have them too. Materialistic as that may sound, I can’t help it – it’s true.

So I’m going to business school – because I’m not an heiress or an actress, and I want the good life. I believe that the power of money and greed can overcome the desire for happiness and the ability to fulfill your life’s dreams. I know I’m perfectly capable of going to art school and becoming an artist, but my desire for the high life far overpowers that ability. Our parents have always said that they want a better life for us than their parents provided for them, and I suppose that’s part of what I’m setting out to do. I want a better life than the one my parents made for me, and I want my kids to have a better life too.

So maybe I’ll learn to adore business the way I adore art. Maybe someday I’ll see the beauty in business practice like I see the beauty in a drip of bright paint on a stark canvas; I’ll find the same joy in writing a business report as the joy in creating a masterpiece of a haiku; and I’ll hear the same clear, blissful, bubbling notes in a conference call as in an Italian aria. But just in case that doesn’t happen, anyone know any single heirs that might be available in the next ten years? One with a private yacht is preferable.