Green Evolution

Nicole - Palm Desert, California
Themes: humanism

All over the world things are dying and things set in stone by nature are crumbling because of man. Humanism is a controversial philosophy when the environment is involved. Can we really fix all that we have destroyed? Well I say yes, and it will be the people, not the government that do it. The trend for greener alternatives has already created a new social norm and civilian developments of alternative fuels are popping up in small towns. Education on the damages that we have caused, and the implications that more damage is yet to come has given humanity a sense of mortality. People in small towns in the mid-west are refining used cooking oil for fuel. Television shows treat green alternatives as something smart, normal, even practical. Not as something “special” , or “different”. Finding a paper good that isn’t at least partially recycled matter is a chore. Recycling is rewarded and the sale of organic goods have sailed to new heights. The simple truth is that we are changing as a people and that the worries of environmentalists have reached us despite their still desperate pleas. I can sense something big coming and as an involved, yet young and developing activist I am relieved to see that the issue of being liberal is being pushed out of the issues of saving the environment. Economic pressure in combination with aesthetic losses , such as polar bears swimming about on thin ice, will push humans into a new industrial era. One in which science will be better applied to the use of nature than the more primitive times. The advancement of technology can lead us to new and practical discoveries, and pull us out of our downward spiral. The threads of the earth are unraveling, and the lines between a tree hugging liberal and a laissez-faire industrialist are thinning. The idea of changing for the greater good is no longer those of the left or right but a unified dream. In which the well being of Earth, our planet and only home is a concern for all. Despite these unifying feelings there are other powers, high in politics, high in business that would prefer to stop these changes. The short term benefits seeming much more profitable than the possibility of having no future. The people are ignoring these powers and forming their own solutions independently. The future of the world does not lie in the hand of government officials or big business owners, but in the hands of common man as it always should be. I believe that it will be the demand of the people and even the creations of the people that will lead to the solving of the environmental issues that plague us today.