creating and accepting the changes of life

Paige - Vista, California
Themes: change

I believe in change. I believe in creating change and I believe in accepting change. As I prepare to graduate high school, embark on a new stage in my life, and leave behind another, I find myself unable to think about anything else besides the subject of change. I continuously find myself coming back to it, and the more and more that I think about it the more and more I realize that the inability for life to remain the same is what truly makes life beautiful. Still, I am the first to admit that the process of change is not always an easy thing. The unknown can be incredibly frightening at first. I believe that the last four or so years of life have proven to be a perfect example of that truth and have, at the same time, proven to be the best years of my life because of it. I entered public high school in the fall of 2004 as a nervous, naive, private school kid with literally one friend at my side. I was entering into a completely foreign world of which I knew nothing. Yet, I had made the decision to make the change and enroll at this school and I was committed to making it work. Still, I was scared, to say the least. But, what I have come to discover is that this monumental (at least to me) change would end up being the best thing that ever happened to me. Through my various experiences at this school, I have learned more about other people, the world, and myself than I could have ever imagined. Not to mention, I have made some of the best friends that anyone could ask for. I honestly do not believe that I would be the person that I am today without this change that I created.

Although I believe in creating change for oneself, I also believe in being able to accept and handle the changes that life brings that you have no control over. Recently my parents decided to separate. Without a doubt, this has been the biggest change in my life thus far that I have not been able to control. I had my rough times. I still have my rough times. But what I have learned from this experience and what I continue to learn is that life doesn’t always turn out the way that we imagine it to. But what is important is being able to adapt to such unexpected set backs or road blocks. It is in these times of unforeseen change that we are truly challenged. In my case, this change has offered me a chance to see how I handle hardship and how I choose to respond. To be honest, I was not exactly pleased. But I now view that too as a learning experience and see it as another opportunity to grow. I know that I have to be challenged and that I can’t continue on in the same way of life forever. Otherwise, I will never learn who I am. I have found that I need change to discover myself.

This is where I now find myself, a near high school graduate in need of a new change. I am ready for a change in scenery, lifestyle, and challenges. It is through my upcoming changes, both planned and unforeseen, that I believe I will grow into the woman that I am meant to be.