Jennifer - La Quinta, California
Themes: addiction, family

This I believe that an addiction is a life changing disease. I believe family plays a huge role in defining a person. My life growing up has been nothing but perfect examples of watching an addiction go bad. For as long as I could remember my father has been an addict. Drugs can ruin lives and affect many of the people around you. I am the oldest of four and am more responsible that most 18 year olds. I believe in a better way, choosing a better path for not only your family but yourself as well. Addictions take over lives and have the complete power to do so.

I remember being too young to understand, too young to realize right from wrong. Most of my life I have been raised by a single parent. Due to such addiction I have missed out on having the joy of a father. I do not think I ever want to understand the damage it really has caused for everyone. I know my family has grown from this problem and is better because of it. It taught me more than I ever thought it would. I know now what is important and what life can throw your way. Although, I have so much more to learn, this made me grow up quicker than usual.

This addiction to drugs enslaved my father into a whole different world of his own. He was never around, constantly busy, and always angry. Before you leave someone out to dry, you want to try and help. From this I have learned you can only truly help someone if they want to help themselves. My family tried. He became so dependant on this drug there was no helping this one. It is hard to watch someone that was supposed to be your role model ruin things right before your eyes. There is only so much one can do before it is too late. There became a time to move on as a family and patch up the missing pieces to make an abnormal situation, as normal as possible.

I wish to never abandon my family. I wish to grow from such a situation. I believe everything happens for a reason. I know I will choose a different path for myself and wish other will too. I believe an addiction takes over ones life and destroys the things that should really matter. He will never know what he missed out on. Everyone goes through some sort of disaster in their lives; it is part of the human nature. It will soon be hard for him to face himself in the mirror and hopefully he will realize what a mistakes he has made. He let his addiction take over his life. I believe all I can do is learn from that.