I believe in love and marriage

Heidi - Rancho Mirage, California
Themes: love

Love has been defined countless of ways. In the bible, I Corinthians 13:4 defines it as, “Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy. It does not boast. It is not proud,” but I think love is more than that. It can also be defined as a promise to someone, or even marriage. When kids are involved, it becomes a responsibility. That is what I believe love is. It is a whole-hearted way of expression and devotion towards someone else.

To begin to love someone, you need to accept their past, and begin to share their future. There can be no doubts. I believe that marriage is a promise. A devotion to another person, and a pledge to share the remainder of your life’s together. Divorce is an easy way out. I think if people waited to wed, more marriages would be lasting, and fewer kids would have divorced parents. Like the bible said, “Love is patient,” and I believe we should be too.

Growing up, my parents never fought or showed how much they were falling apart. When my brother and I realized they were getting a divorce, it was already too late. I was only 7, and have had to finish growing up without my father around. My brother moved in with him soon after the split, but we have all managed to stay close. I get to see them once or twice a month, but nothing could bring back my childhood years with them not around. We were lucky too. Many divorced parents go through custody battles and other conflicts dealing with their children; the outcomes, not so pleasant.

In a situation where love is always so abundant, we can never imagine being faced with such a hardship. I was shown love and devotion from my parents, and had such an important part of my life taken away from me. With so many parents getting a divorce now, what are their children supposed to use as role-models? Society has been more adapt with accepting divorce, but there shouldn’t be such an easy escape.

I believe that marriage is a lifetime commitment. It binds two people together, and shows their love for one another. Love should be used to show a whole-hearted devotion towards someone else. When people are faced with such an easy escape-route, they jump. I believe in a society free from divorce. I believe in a lifetime of love and commitment. Not only is love and marriage a promise, it’s an obligation to each other.