Saving the World Through the Power of Understanding

Matthew - Vista, California

Many believe the state of our world is at a threshold of uncontrollably hatred and discrimination of all who are different. It is a state that has been worsening every step we take into the future. It seems like a pretty grim outcome but I believe there is still a glimmer of hope for the people of this world. Through my experiences as a high school senior, I have experienced many events that have changed my life and my opinion of people in society.

During the month of October I was given the honor to serve with the Carlsbad Police Department and help at a fire relief center. The Fire was a serious and unfortunate event for many in San Diego County. A lot of good people lost everything they owned and some were lucky to come out with their lives.

Being a Carlsbad Police Explorer, a lot of people were depending on immediate help for their problems and it became overwhelming for the officers who were trying everything they could to help. A lot of people were in a deep state of depression and the only thing I could do was comfort them. Everything seemed grim until our community opened up to these people.

It started with people offering to buy waters with their own money too donating rooms in their homes for those who had lost theirs. In one instance a lady had rescued all of her dogs and evacuated her house. When she had reached the Carlsbad Relief Post she had heard her house was burnt to the ground in Ramona. So she sat on the curb and started crying. Just then a family from Oceanside offered to take in her dogs and allowed her to spend the remainder of the time in their house. A family who had never met this woman opened up their house for her.

By the time I had left the post at around ten thirty families all around North County had donated so much that we had to redirect them to another emergency relief center. I came back the next day to work and still people were dropping supplies off.

Often I find myself looking back at the events of the world today and agree with first statement. Innocent people being murdered in Africa just because they were born in a different tribe, or innocent people being killed in Ireland just because they have a different view on Christianity. It seems the world is sinking lower and lower, but when I look at my own community I get the sense that there is still hope. I find it amazing how a community of people who were not affected by the fires donated so much to the people who were affected. Through the actions of so many in October I believe that we can come together as a world too. There is so much going on in the world that we can help form turning any worse.

This I believe that if we take a step back and try to understand each other like the people of San Diego County. To try to help bring the end of the discrimination of the world and understand one another as human beings, then I believe we can live in a world free of discrimination and brutality.