War, the Helpless Battle

Ciara - Palm Desert, California
Themes: peace

As naïve as it may sound, I am a firm believer in love, not hate, peace, not war, and compromise rather than construction. As children we are taught to be kind to others, don’t hurt each other, and do to others what you would want done to you. Why is it that once you grow up all of these elementary school lessons that we were taught suddenly fade away, and are substituted with greed, and justified by circumstances. War is not the only way to deal with our international conflicts, and it is entertaining that the most intelligent species on the planet is too stupid to figure that out.

Throughout history man has settled many disputes, and enforced many ideas with an iron fist. World War Two was initiated through the contradictory beliefs of two separate groups. Eventually the violence that it caused spread all across the globe, resulting in the catastrophic death of seventy two million people. It is absolutely absurd to think that that many people could kill each other because of opposing beliefs or different ideas that they may have. In a world that is so unpredictable, and our time could be so limited, how can we get so caught up in something so trivial? If we do not learn how to just get along, then we will take ourselves off the planet, long before a meteor has the chance to.

Think of how much money our country would save if we were not wasting billions of dollars on a pointless war. Our capitalist nature has lead us to interfere with yet another country, and put us in even more debt then we would ever be able to pay off. So why have we put ourselves in yet another battle, interfering with yet another country’s feuds? Well the simple fact is that war is what we know. War is how we got this country, and how it became the powerful nation that it is today. Unfortunately war is what is also leading us to our demise. If we could only attempt to settle our disputes with compromise and not violence, then maybe other countries, seeing us as the powerhouse that we are, could follow in our footsteps. The United States has created more atomic bombs than we would need to annihilate the entire human population. This not only shows how wasteful we our with our money, but how brainless our priorities are. If we were spending our money on helping, rather than hurting each other, if we could finally overcome our differences and accept each other, than maybe we would be able to become the world that we were always capable of being.

Though people of this earth have done great things, they have also done extremely terrible things, many of which have been driven by war and major conflicts. Solving our disputes in an orderly and violence free way would allow us to not only be more financially stable and safer, but would make us a much more civil place to live than before. The world would be a lot better off if we could all just get along.