I believe in myself

Karolyn - La Quinta, California

Dedicated, caring, loving, athletic, funny, understanding, outgoing, cheerful, hardworking, appreciative, willing, dependable, determined, trustworthy, courageous, honest, eager; without these attributes, I wouldn’t be the person that I have strived to be today. My name is Karolyn DePaolo, better known as Kari, and I believe in myself.

I have accomplished many things in life, many of which have contributed to what makes and has only helped me to grow as a person. I may not have run any marathons or won any gold medals, but my accomplishments are important to most of all, me. Since the time I made my move from Ohio, to now in California, I have overcome many difficult situations in my life. I have achieved many goals that I have created for myself all throughout high school. I have proven to myself that just because I took two steps back, there’s still room for progression. Even with failures, there come accomplishments. I am proud that I reached a 4.2 GPA, became captain of the basketball team, joined many scholastic clubs, became more focused on my religious beliefs, and gave back to the community by volunteering at various functions. In order to have a successful life and future, you must be able to declare yourself and that’s what I believe high school has helped me achieve. Now that I know myself, I know that I am ready for the new obstacles life will throw at me in the real world. I cannot wait for all the new experiences that lie ahead of me.

Azusa Pacific University, my new domicile in the fall in which I will not only gain a family in the classroom but also on the court. I will be shooting three pointers for God’s love and as far as freshmen hazing, it will consist of blind-folding and making us wear something obscene to chapel; those crazy Christians and their prude antics. I will start off as the benchwarmer, but luckily the faith in which I conceal inside myself will steer my transformation into a far greater player than the one who keeps those seats nice and toasty. Who knows, I might upgrade to water girl, which will eventually lead me to lots of playing time due to the abundance of hydration I consumed. The Water Boy did become the star in the end so there’s still hope for me.

During my next four years at APU I would like nothing more than to be a more disciplined, and a true disciple of God. In order to achieve this, I know that it cannot be done alone. Fortunately, I work well with others and am willing to do what is necessary to accomplish my goals. I believe that as long as I am in an environment with peers who value the same goals as me, I will be capable to have a stronger faith in not only God, but also myself. God first, the motto in which will lead me to a better belief in myself.