Maggie - La Quinta, California

Three girls were crying. Two girls said they were about to throw up and the other five had stomach aches. It was my first night as a camp counselor and I had just become a parent for a week for these ten girls who lived in my cabin. I decided a crazy dance was in order for all of us. Soon almost everyone was smiling and a few were laughing. Amongst the giggles all the ailments disappeared and soon everyone was able to fall asleep, tired and happy with laughter.

I believe in laughter. I believe laughter can relieve stress, cure sicknesses, improve relationships and improve your outlook on life. My dad is very funny and he makes my mom and all of his kids laugh every day. I really believe humor is one of the building blocks of a relationship. My mom always says that she and my dad never had a big fight in their twenty years of marriage because he always makes her start laughing halfway through their arguments.

Just the other evening I was being presented in front of a very large group of people. My parents and I had to walk on a stage and runway while a tape of my gratitude for them played in the background with pictures of my childhood displayed on a large screen. Needless to say it was very emotional. I was very nervous and my mom was shaking and about to start sobbing. Just as we began our stroll down the stage runway my dad leaned over to us and said, “Do you guys mind if I pass gas?” We both smiled and the tension and stress was broken.

Looking back at high school I now realize how much laughter helped me get through all the hard times. When a teacher treats a test or project like it’s life or death I smile at their silliness. Is there anything better than when someone gets those giggles during a supposedly serious time? It becomes contagious and pretty soon everyone is belly laughing and you have no idea why. The next day you can feel your sore stomach muscles and those happy feelings flood back again.

My dad always says if you can laugh at yourself then you are usually secure in who you are. When I do something silly or goofy I don’t mind people having a chuckle at my expense. It has happened a million times and I usually join them.

Laughter brightens each and every one of my days. I love the twists and turns of life that put a smile on my face. A good laugh can put you in a great mood for a whole day. I love to share that feeling and connection of people laughing together. I believe laughter makes your soul, spirit and heart smile.