It Could Happen…and It Did.

Rachel - Merrill, Wisconsin
Themes: family, gratitude

It Could Happen…and It Did.

I try not to live selfishly and take things for granted and look at the big picture. Don’t let one day pass without saying your Please’s and Thank You’s to those that do the little things in your life.

One Sunday night, when the phone rang, all I heard was running on the hard wood floor. I felt my heart stop and I thought to myself, “What is going on?” All I heard was…

“Hello Wendorfs?” said my father. “Mom? Is this you? What’s wrong? This is your son, David. Yes it’s me. Mom, you don’t live by the river and can’t see it from your house. Are you watching the game yet? No, the packers are on tonight. It’s a play off game remember? Do you need me to come there? Okay, just stay in your chair and I’m coming. Hang tight, Mom,” as he hung up the phone.

I didn’t want to be caught eaves dropping so I pretended to do homework. My mom came in and said, “You need to go with your dad now; he will explain in the truck.” I grabbed a coat and ran outside. “Dad, what in the heck is going on?” I spoke in a shaky voice. My hands got ice cold in my gloves. “Rachel, my dad said, Grandma doesn’t know where she is. She seemed out of it earlier. She’s scaring me.”

We got to the house, I flipped the light switch on and saw the scariest thing ever. My grandma was sitting in a chair with her head tilted back. I couldn’t look. When Grandma woke up, my dad asked her if she wanted the ambulance and without hesitation I yelled, “Yes!” at my dad. My grandma looked at me then at Dad and said, “Who is that?” My heart dropped. I wanted to cry; my own grandma didn’t know me. Soon the First Responders were there and everything was under control. I felt much better but still very shaken up. As we left to go back to the house, my body was numb and my brain in total shock. A cool drop of water ran down my cheek; I was crying. “Dad,” I said quietly. Grandma scared me and I really thought that’d be my last time seeing her.” When I finally got to my room I squeezed my pillow and just cried as hard as I could.

As thoughts ran through my head of Grandma, I believed that God put me in the situation for a reason. Things happen in life and most of the time we will never know why. In this case, I believe it was to show me that this sort of thing could happen in an instant. I did have tunnel vision with this sort of situation and put off the fact that it could not happen to my family. Tell those that you love that you love them every chance that you get. I’m proud to say that my grandma is still with me today. I will always be more conscious to make every moment count.