Adversity Builds Character

Monique - Rancho Mirage, California
Themes: death, family

Adversity Builds Character

I have been through many experiences and accomplishments in my life that have helped shape me into who I am today. Overall there was one life-changing experience that was the most influential to me. At the age of thirteen my best friend, role model, and hero had passed away; for my mother was truly all of these things.

At first, because it was so unexpected, I was in complete shock and it had not really hit me. I felt like I was living a night mare. I still remember my aunt’s face while she was walking through the door, saying that my mom had been taken to the hospital. My heart sank, I knew something terrible had happened, just by the sound of her voice I could tell it was more serious than she made it seem. When we arrived at the hospital my mother was in critical condition. The doctor told us that she had developed an aneurysm, and that the blood was putting pressure on her brain. I can still remember the tubes coming in and out of place and how cold she felt. She was unconscious so I was unable to communicate with her. Days went by and the there was no way they could save her. She was brain dead, and the doctor had told us all that was left to do was to pull the plug.

Now you might ask yourself what good can possibly come from the loss of a loved one or for that matter and tragic obstacles we face in our lives. I believe that through adversity we build our character and become stronger and more appreciative of the ones around us. We are able to help others who are suffering as well. It has tested my character in more ways that you can imagine. I now feel like I can overcome any obstacles thrown my way. If I can lift myself back up after the loss of the most important person in my life, that I can conquer anything.

During these experiences I have gone through I was able to help someone very close to me. My best friends father Katie, shortly after my mother, had also passed away. Once again another life taken by surprise. She was angry and hurt, but I understood what she was going through and was able to relate to her, and help her cope with his death. It all of sudden started to become clear of why all these things have happened to me.

I have learned not to take anyone for granted, not even for a second, and to spend as much time with your loved ones as possible. Through all of this I have experienced more than anyone could possibly teach me, and I am grateful for that. I believe that if we don’t go through the difficult trials in our lives than we will never develop to our full potential.