Gay Marriage

Stephanie - Palm Desert, California

Why shouldn’t gay people have the same rights as heterosexuals? Are they really any different? Other then the fact they love the same sex. Many argue between the fact that gays choose to be that way or if they are genetically that way. It shouldn’t matter whether it is a preference or choice. It is how they feel and it is who they are. They are not going to change.

My friend Nikki is gay. She has a girlfriend and they are in love, I don’t doubt that at all. When two people are in love they get married. Unfortunately, for Nikki and Sarah that is not a choice they get. Getting married is not only to show others their love, it’s the companionship knowing that someone will be their with you for the rest of your life, along with government perks you get as well. Within the government you can file jointly on your tax returns. You can receive Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for both you and your spouse. You can also receive insurance benefits through your spouses employer, along with many other benefits you get from being married. Instead of looking at people just at their sexual preference, what about the actual person. Do you think their life has been easy after they have confronted to themselves and others that they are gay? No. People are still not accepting others for being gay. Many do not believe that they should be allowed to marry. They think if we let this happen, it might go farther.

Yes, it is against many peoples religion. It is not possible for a group of people to agree on one thing in the first place. Especially on issues that go against their religion. Many religions do not agree with gay people, especially marriage. What I have to say to that is, “don’t talk to them, don’t associate with them. If you don’t like how they live all you have to do is don’t pay any attention to them.” I don’t understand why some people have to push their ideas onto you instead of just letting you live your life the way you want to live it.

I strongly believe in the rights of gays and I do believe that gay people have the right to marry one another. I hope one day that everyone will realize that everyone should have equal rights whether or not they love the opposite sex or the same. I do believe this will happen in time since it is slowly doing so. I hope that many people like Nikki and Sarah will have their chance to live happily ever after and not be so discriminated against in a country that is supposed to be free.