I Believe its You Against the World

Ryan - Rancho Mirage, California

Being a young man growing up with in a society that is in constant competition can be stressful. All my life parents, teachers, coaches and role models have encouraged me to push myself to be the best that I can be. I was taught never to give up, something that is instilled my memory today. Occasionally there is a good job or am opportunity for success, but it also seems like there is always something better. There is always another rung on the ladder to climb to reach the top step of perfection.

After applying for college I realized that I am not only competing for a starting position on the football team or a high rank in my class…I am competing for a spot in the world. Everyone wants to get in to a good college and get an education to hopefully better their lives. Because of all the applications that are sent, the competition is extremely tough, which makes it that much harder to stand out and be seen as original. Even after being admitted into college, everything gets tougher. It is a struggle to graduate at the top of your class and qualify for a job so that in the future you are not at the bottom of the ladder in the job market.

Competitive nature is what sets us apart from the person sitting next to us. Sometimes, trying your best is not good enough, competition has become so intense that genetics are almost as important as focus and hard work. Recent polls show that less than six percent of high school seniors will play football at the college level and even less than that make it to the National Football League. If you ask any NFL player what separates them from the rest, the most common answer would be education. These days you have to have the whole package, athleticism and intelligence to make it in professional sports.

In life you do not just compete in school, sports and jobs, you also compete against yourself. I compete against myself in the gym daily by trying to lift more weight than the day before. Taking days off and slacking only brings you closer to being an “average Joe” instead of standing out in the world. Life is no longer about succeeding and failing, life is about learning from failure and doing anything possible to get an edge on the competition. There is a lot of pressure growing up in this world and it can be hard Every day, people get smarter, stronger, faster and better in general. It is imperative to keep up with the competition or you will never make it…this leaves you against the world.