This I Belive: A Strong Mind and Heart Will Get You Through

Hannah - Fairfield, Connecticut
Themes: work

In life we all experience hardships; life isn’t always what we want it to be. Even being only 16, I myself have seen many hard days and feel I will see many more. I believe that anyone can get through by having a strong heart and mind. Battles are won not physically but mentally.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Leukemia, a type of cancer. I was forced to mature and learn to not to give in. As hard as it was, I feel it was the best learning experience I could have ever had. I realized what it truly meant to live strong. Our country also went through a “Live Strong” phase, we all wore the yellow Lance Armstrong wristbands, but did anyone stop to realize that living strong was not only applying to people with cancer but everyone who simply lived. I realized that living strong applied to my everyday life; school, sports, or work could be made better by approaching it with a strong head and heart. I now put effort in not entering situations as an underdog, but with a strong belief that I can and will do whatever I need to do, and not only that, but do it well. I know that in many situations I am an underdog to those around me, but mentally I have already accomplished what I wanted to be done. By giving up I only cheat myself, and entering with a bad state of mind, I mine as well not do it at all. I learned quickly what a strong head and heart will get you through. Not everyone gets to learn such an important aspect in surviving so early in their life. Yes, I consider myself a survivor, but not because I overcame cancer, but because I am mentally strong and my heart follows with the same strength. We all survive on thing or another; whether it is early or late in life, but our mind and heart is what gets us through.

I believe that people can do what they dream of; I believe that people can overcome the name “underdog”; and I also believe that everyone is a survivor. But mainly, I believe that all this is possible purely because they have a strong head and heart. And this I believe.