I Believe in Grandmas

Taylor - Amherst, Virginia

I Believe In Grandmas. I believe that their love is never ending. My grandma has played a major role in my life and has shaped me into the young woman that I am. She has taught me so much about life, family, friendship, and most of all, love.

My grandma has taken care of me since I was a little girl. I stayed with her everyday while my parents were at work. My grandma would read me stories and bounce me on her knees. My grandma taught me the alphabet and how to write my name. Whenever I spent the night with her, she would lie with me and rub my arm until I fell asleep. She refused to leave my side when I was sick or afraid. To me, my grandma does everything perfectly. Every night she prepares warm, home-cooked meals for her family. No one could ever make food that tastes as good as hers. My grandma has always believed in me and encouraged me to chase my ambitions.

When I was little I always looked forward to going to my grandma’s house. It always smelled so good! I remember going there everyday and pretending to be my grandma’s assistant while I helped her around the house. Even though I looked forward to going to my grandma’s house, I loved it when my grandma took me to church every Sunday even more. My grandma and I would leave her house around 9:30a.m. every Sunday morning. Before we left, she made sure that I had on a ruffled dress and that my hair was pulled back in a matching ribbon. We would pull into the parking lot and my grandma would hold my hand all the way to my Sunday School classroom. After Sunday School I would meet her again upstairs and sit with her during service. Throughout the service my grandma would always give me green mints. They were my favorite!

My grandma would always let me stand on the pew when we had to sing just so that I could be her height. During the benediction prayer my grandma and I would hold hands, a tradition that continues today. During church I loved being with my grandma and hearing her tell others that I was “her doll baby.”

Now I’ve realized that her love will never perish, it can only grow. Her love now shines through me because she has taught me everything I know. She cares so much for her family and friends and has always been there when they needed her. My grandma is a strong woman and I look up to her in so many ways. My grandma and I are close and I believe that she is the most amazing woman alive. One day when I am her age, I hope that I have grandchildren that love me as much as I love her and believe in grandmas as much as I do.