Love Never Fails

Emily - 24521, Virginia
Themes: love

“Love never fails…” 1 Corinthians 13:8. Not only is that part of one of my favorite Bible verses, it is also a sentence I have learned to live my life by. When you think about it, when in your life has love, real love, ever failed you? Love, unlike the rest of human kind, will never die, never leave you, and never fail.

Recently, my grandfather, “Papa”, who was like a second dad to me, passed away from cancer. His death occurred only three weeks after his diagnosis. It came as a shock to the entire family. My grandma, who sometimes still acts as if she is twenty, remained strong every step of the way and would not leave his side. She stayed with him even when his disease was overwhelming. I began to realize that all of her strength came from the love she had for him. They had been married for fifty-one happy years, which is rare these days, and her love for him had never failed. They were always happy together, and now even though he is gone, his love will never leave her. Even through the hardest of times, they both kept faith in God and I have comfort in saying that God’s love for them has never failed. Papa walks with Him now.

The hardest part about his passing for me was that I was miles away from my home state, Virginia, where he was. I was visiting Florida, and the family decided that it would be best for me not to come home. It was a hard decision. The morning that I received the news that he had passed away I completely fell apart in my hotel bed. I could not believe that someone that I loved so much was gone from my earthly life. Three of my closest friends were in the room and knew what had happened. Before a tear could even roll down my cheek they were by my side embracing me and rubbing my back to calm my hysterics. They dropped everything they were doing to rush to my side, even the one who was still dripping wet from the shower. They stayed by me every second and without saying a word, their love surrounded me. They even made me a card from the only resource they could find, toilet paper. Throughout that bump in my life their true love for me never failed.

This struggle in my life made me realize that God made love so that when everything else in life comes crashing down, there is one thing that does not have the ability to fail. Love. “Love never fails…” 1 Corinthians 13:8. This I Believe.