Soft Cotton Comfort

Kathleen - Amherst, Virginia

I believe in the power of the t-shirt.

Two months ago, I was out sick from school with a virus. While at home, I lounged in my favorite t-shirt, one with a panda and a recycling symbol on it, while wrapped in a blanket drinking tea. Three weeks later, I wore the same shirt with jeans to the mall with my friends, looking for cute clothes and cuter guys. Tomorrow, I plan to wear the same t-shirt with a jean mini-skirt, an outfit that will boost my confidence as I give a speech to the school as part of my campaign for Student Council Treasurer. On these three days, I had different goals, different emotions, different thoughts. The only thing these days have in common is that I wore or will be wearing my favorite t-shirt.

Why do I choose to wear my t-shirt when I do? I wear it because my t-shirt keeps me grounded. From the earth, springs the cotton plant, which is nurtured by the wind and rain. When it is ready, the plant is picked to make a soft, comfortable cloth, which is then turned into a t-shirt. This shirt, through its humble beginnings, helps me to stay humble, and its connection to the earth comforts me in any situation, be it good or bad.

Life often becomes extremely complicated. Between school, homework, clubs, work, and a social life, there is hardly any time to breathe. When I put on a t-shirt, I am reminded to slow down. The t-shirt emits a cool vibe like a frozen shot of air. It allows me to settle into what I am doing and, although it cannot stop life, it can make it a little easier to handle.

Whenever there is too much stress in life, just slip on a t-shirt. The warm cotton will melt away the troubles and replace them with a feeling of confidence. A t-shirt is not low cut, or itchy, or constricting; it is just the opposite. The t-shirt represents everything that is comfortable, confident, and unpretentious. There is no risk in the t-shirt. It is simple and ever-lasting. Through the t-shirt, I am filled with assurance of how I look, whether I am wearing my best mini-skirt and heels or a pair of sweatpants and flip-flops.

When wearing the t-shirt, the wearer must be sure not to compromise its integrity. The purpose of the t-shirt is to supply comfort, as a blanket does a child. It is supposed to make its wearer feel confident in any situation. A t-shirt needs to fit just right in order to create that inner swagger that will allow the wearer to put all other tops to shame. If a t-shirt does not do this, then it is just another shirt and should not be valued as other tees.

The t-shirt is a treasure. It is like my pyramid of Egypt, or my crown jewels of England, and like these, it holds an enormous amount of power. My t-shirt has the potential to evoke emotion and pride, which are of the utmost importance in my life. Because of this, my t-shirt holds more power than the president of the United States.