Things Happen for a Reason

Katrina - La Quinta, California

There are those moments in everyone’s life where it seems to turn for the worst. Even though it may bring stress to your life I believe all things happen for a reason, the good and the bad. Throughout my life my family and I have gone through many ups and downs but as time passes I stay strong to my belief. There’s meaning behind every turn.

When I was younger my family and I used to take yearly trips to Big Bear, CA. We loved it so much we thought of it as a second home. One year when we went to Big Bear for our yearly trip, we went house hunting. Our “second home” was about to become a reality. We met this builder who was to make our new home to our likings. We were anxious and wanted to put a deposit on the house as soon as possible. The builder refused our money and said we couldn’t hold the house till after it was built. But my parent’s impatience left us leaving Big Bear empty handed.

Later that year my mom had once again was scurried to the emergency room. Years prior to that trip my mother had undergone two brain surgeries. My mother had a blood clot in her brain that began to leak and make her severely ill. In her second brain surgery at Loma Linda Medical Center the neurosurgeon had clamped the clot, which left her in a better condition. This recent visit after years was not good news. My mother now needed proton radiation and had to once again be admitted to Loma Linda Medical Center. As much as we would’ve loved to make Big Bear our official second home we knew there was a reason it didn’t happen. If we would have purchased that house, there was no way we could’ve survived. My mother’s hospital bills would’ve made it impossible. I believe it happened for a reason.

Years later while things we finally getting back to normal, my father had been fired due to a false accusation. My father had been in law enforcement for 16 years. This was the only profession he had ever known. It struck my family with hard times. My dad was now bringing home zero income and my mother was on disability. My whole family was furious. We went to court but the outcome stayed the same. This seemed a turn for the worst. A year or so after my family got settled I had a talk with my dad, daughter and father. My dad explained to me that he could not be more grateful that things ended up how they did. I was in shock. I thought my dad was furious? My dad saw my expression and knew he had to explain. He told me, “ All those years I was in law enforcement I had never heard the words thank you and now I hear them everyday. I have never felt so warm hearing such simple words. I’ve missed out on so many moments with you girls. ” I’d never realized it but my dad was right. All my years growing up the never-ending answer of where my dad was, was he’s at work. Now my dad can witness my sister and I for our years to come and finally see me graduate. This I believe, great or small things happen for a reason.