STRUGGLES

carlina - thousand palms, California

Struggles

I have grown up in a Hispanic culture with my parents once immigrants from Mexico they raised me and my siblings with their cultural moral beliefs. My parents have always been there to support every decision that I make, giving me always their opinion. Yes, like I said my parents have always been there for support, but that is only it, they have never pushed me to do better then what I could possibly do, they never were involved with my school activities; everything I have accomplished has been with my own effort. And I wont lie sometimes I had wished that they were more involved, there were times where I felt that I was going to collapse. And that’s why I believe that if we want to accomplish something in this life, it has to be with your own pure sweat, your hard work, and no one else’s. I understood that many times my parents weren’t available to participate, for the lack of language, which I believe has made me strive to accomplish more then what they have.

What I believe has impacted mostly the choice that I have made so far for my 18 years of living has also been harsh family problems, living through a harsh divorce that only lead to the severe sickness of my both parents, has let me see them pick themselves up from the lowest point in somebody’s life. Since my parents divorce, I have recently been living with my mom; we have had our struggles with money with her, since my dad had chosen to separate his life from us for a awhile my mom showed to be a warrior with this life. About a year ago, my mom hit rock bottom, driving her into a severe depression, not wanting to do anything and having a sour taste for life. She was finding no point to why she should live her life any longer, but she held up, and only for her kids. Now after difficult months have gone by, she is not fully recovered but is up and doing more, and seeing life with different eyes. Living the experience with her of depression has led me to believe that we will come across obstacles in life that will sometimes tear us apart and leave us with nothing. Situations that will only leave us with the sour taste of a life that should not be wanted or envied by anyone, and that this is the best that we can possibly do. But by realizing this, I believe that getting up on both of your feet will make u a stronger person, and make you want more for your life, that you won’t always have there patting you on the back saying what a great job you have done. I believe that in the end the only person that you should care about patting you on the back should be your own hand, that before making anyone else proud you need to make yourself proud.