Felicia - Indio, California

When I was twelve years old I learned a valuable life lesson from my grandmother. We were looking through a newspaper together and all we could find were articles about the bad happenings in the world at the time: recent terrorist attacks, death, destruction, and talks of possible war. It seemed as if the world had taken a sudden turn to the dark side, when suddenly my grandmother gave me a shed of light that would forever change my views on people and life.

“Why are there so many bad people in the world?” I asked my grandmother. I did not expect her response to justify any of the situations occurring in the world, but I did just want a firm answer. She told me that all people are good until they choose to do something bad. At that age, I did not understand. But now, I think about what she said almost everyday and have founded strict morals on my view of people in society. I believe that all people are generally good and just need to find their opportunity to shine bright amongst the rest.

To most, genuine goodness is hard to find during this day and age, but in my eyes, there is good everywhere. If you look past the horrors and negative aspects of life, you are sure to find someone with a loving, nurturing heart. Behind every bad situation there is a good cause of fortune. People just need to reach out to each other with a lending hand to help send others towards the right path or to simply guide others that are lost. The littlest acts of kindness can change the world and promote goodness for all.

People are born with a natural goodness, compassion, and a tendency to help others. However, it is only those who choose to thrive on these qualities that can succeed and pass around goodness in the world. Just because someone gets into trouble or is viewed as an “evil” person does not mean that they truthfully are. This simply means they have fallen off of the right track and their heart has become lost. Lost souls (as I often refer to it as) should not be frowned upon or viewed as unnecessary people in the human race. All people deserve a second chance to prove themselves and all people should be given the ability to show the goodness that is in their hearts.

I never knew that a conversation with my grandmother would affect the way that I viewed the world and people as a whole, but it did and she has changed my heart for the better. I have learned to give people the opportunity to express who they are and all of the good qualities they possess. I solemnly ever find myself criticizing and judging others for their actions. I look for the good in people and try to avoid the bad, if any, is confined into their heart. If more people shared views like my grandmother, and now myself, there would be no reason for violence, hatred, discrimination, or any of the other countless bugs plaguing our society. All people possess the qualities it takes to be a good person and to help promote general wellness. All people have a little light inside that needs to be turned on during times of darkness.