Being Anything But Normal

Shelby - York, Pennsylvania

Normal, not unusual, common, ordinary, everyday, those are the things I am not. Different, unique, unusual, unordinary, unpredictable, those are the things I am. Everybody has a different personality, a different way at looking at things, and different beliefs.

I believe I am who I am and I am not changing.

When you’re at school it’s about a certain image — “The popular”, “The nerds”, “The freaks at that lunch table”, but nobody realizes how unimportant these things are in school. It’s about who you are and who you want to be.

My parents are set on me being whatever I want but secretly I know they prefer me to be a musician and don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t mind being one but recently I discovered a new talent I have and that is writing novels. Being a novelist is truly what I believe I was built for.

One day my aunt rented this movie — Stick it. The movie is about a former gymnast who gets sent to do gymnastics instead of going to jail. Nobody really liked her — she dropped out at world championships — nobody really understood why she dropped out of worlds. She ends up going to worlds and the same thing that makes her drop out before happens again. She ends up walking out at worlds, for the second time. She expected things to be different and she expected to serve the rest of her time in jail. When she got to the courts house to talk to the judge she got a full on surprise. The judge let her go but told her on statement that I have held onto since I watched the movie,

“Be good. Looks like you’re built for it.”

This statement made me realize that I should go for my goals, and achieve what I want.

I believe I should do what I want and achieve it.

Part of being who I am is over analyzing everything, I am my own worst critic. So everything I do in school, especially in subjects that will help me in my hobbies, is over analyzed. When I write novels I always write, read, and trash what I think doesn’t help with the story line. When I practice clarinet I try to fix every single mistake I make. I’ll mark flats I missed or sharps, I basically will put in anything that will help me sound better than before. People think that I am too harsh on myself but I think that it is actually something that is making me succeed. People have different beliefs and that is what makes this world unique.

I believe that everybody needs a hero, and that everybody’s heroes aren’t all going to be the same. My hero is Stephenie Meyer, author of Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and soon to be Breaking Dawn. She is my hero because she writes about what she wants to write about, and she doesn’t care what type of fans she has, they’re fans and they are all wonderful.

I have more ambitions than looking good in school and worrying about the next school dance. To be who you are doesn’t mean to fake to be someone else so you can get the friends you want. I think the best friends you can have are the ones who like you for you. I can recall at least one time in my life where I tried to have a different personality to get a different “genre” of friends. But when I did that I found out that these people didn’t like me, they liked what I made myself to be. After that I realized I was never truly happy unless I was myself. I wanted to be silly with my friends and I wanted to be able to have stupid fights with my friends and laugh about them later — I wanted to be me.

I am who I am and I have no intention in changing, this I believe.