I believe in Second Chances…Don’t You?

Sarah - Princeton, Illinois

I believe that everyone gets a second chance at life. It was around February 2007, and my brother was thinking of getting a dog. My parents said it was fine as long as he took care of it. My brother now lives 7 blocks away from us. He had a roommate that had a dog named Isis . Andy, my brother, went to the city’s animal shelter and looked around at the dogs. This wasn’t a “No Kill Shelter”. My brother and his fiancée Katie were looking through all the dogs when they got to the very end. They saw a black dog with a white cross down her chest with adorable deep brown eyes. She was at the back of her cage. Andy put his hand up to her and she came closer. She was a little shy, but once she licked his hand and he fell in love with her. So he took her home to see how she would do. Isis didn’t like her at first, but then they got to be great buddies. He decided to name her Lucy.

Then Andy brought her home to show us, we as well fell in love with her too. We made an exception to keep her when my brother left to go back. He found out he couldn’t bring her with because they were only supposed to have one dog there. Andy told us that she would’ve been put down in three days if no one took her. I was heart-broken to hear that. I mean, come on, she’s an intelligent dog and she’s just like a human. I swear she knows EXACTLY what you’re saying. She’s very protective of me. When I come home from school, she comes alive. My dad says it’s like he’s chop liver. I often think about what my brother said, about her being put down three days later if he hadn’t got her. My dad said that Lucy is a one in a million dog. Andy was Lucy’s hero, he saved her, or she wouldn’t be here; we wouldn’t have a loving, loyal dog, by our side for our protection, and for when we get lonely.

I believe that all shelters should be “No Kill Shelter” so all animals have a chance at surviving in this world. Someone can adopt the dogs like Andy did. We all can save a life, one at a time. But if the shelters kill the animals we would miss out on a great opportunity to have a great dog like Lucy in our everyday lives. We hear about global warming and saving the animals. Well can’t you do the same for the animals in the shelter? They’re a living things too are they not? We all should take the time in caring for animals from the shelter. So adopt an animal, hey who knows it may be the animal for you! And that’s, what I believe.