Senioritis is not an Affliction

Priscilla - La Quinta, California

We have all played the game of school; wake up at an indecent hour, get dressed, struggle to make it to school on time for once. Lets face it, every waking moment of every day has been planned. Not by us, the students, but of the hierarchal administrators who think they know what’s best for us “young adults.” They encourage us to be individuals yet expect us to conform to high school expectations; class president, volunteer, honor student, club advisors. When is it enough?

After four years of instantaneously running to our next class period as soon as we hear a bell as if we are cattle; we, you, seniors of various classes have found it in ourselves to break the scheduled standards of these institutions. This stigma named “senioritis,” has infected the young adults of which everything is expected. Nearing the end of our high school careers, we have had a glimpse of life without bell schedules, homework, text-book ideas, and censorship. How are we not to act once we realize that any work that’s done from here-on-out is not at all substantial? Every year we get the same lecture; “be careful of senioritis” or “don’t let senioritis ruin your college plans;” as if to scare us from doing what comes natural. Some may say we are giving up or not caring; I disagree.

I believe in senioritis. No matter the stigma or disciplinary actions a school administrator may place upon me or on any of my fellow senioritis sufferers. Senioritis is not an affliction. It’s a natural response to a life filled with certainty and false pretentious ideas of American culture. I believe this response is a necessary occurrence in the American teen to shed the fabricated ideals that we have come to learn and idolize in order to embrace our freedom of thought. Our future is in our hands now; let us do with it what we will.