Music Can Heal Our Sorrow

Brittney - Madision Heights, Virginia

As humans, we have a natural tendency to become depressed easily when a tragic event occurs or when everything around us seems to disintegrate and we feel left alone. I, on many occasions, have felt this pain and it seems impossible to bear. It becomes too hard to focus on the positive aspects of life because the negative is so vividly dominant. In the midst of this despair, however, I believe music is the medicine that cures us of our sorrows.

Love conquers the majority of us and is often inescapable. Once the true connection is made, it seems unlikely that the affair will ever end. However, along the way, relationships often deteriorate and break-ups occur. I have found throughout my middle school and high school relationships, I have never really loved a boy. This is evident to me because music has the ability to take away my sorrow within a week. Often times, I have turned on the radio and the perfect most appropriate song plays. It lets me know there is hope and that everyone goes through rough times.

One instance that music helped see me through was this past summer when I met a boy. While at a tennis tournament, I was gazing out upon all the courts until I noticed this cute guy who was looking at me while playing. After his match, he introduced himself and we began to talk for a long time. I came back for the next three days to continue watching the tournament and he was there each time. He was from Peru, but traveled all over the country playing in tennis tournaments. I enjoyed listening to him speak especially when I attempted speaking some Spanish back to him. It was refreshing to talk to someone who shared the same common interest as me. When he had to leave, I was unbelievably sad. The only thing I knew to do was turn on my I-pod and listen to the music that would hopefully heal me. The music comforted me and eased my pain. Even though I missed talking to him, the sadness quickly left me and I was able to move on with my life.

Music has encouraged me throughout my life when I felt so depressed I felt my life was coming to an end. It has uplifted me in the darkest of times and has helped me become the person I am today. Even if someone must experience the loss of love, I believe music has the ability to bring peace and comfort into one’s life. By playing sad songs over and over again, all the emotions are pulled out and not left inside to build up over time.