This I Believe!

Brittany - Palm Desert, California

This I Believe!

I believe that your own life is a precious gift. You need to take it by the reins and live. Remember your past, but do not dwell on it and let it run your life. I have done a lot of stupid things in my life, and most of them I regret. I drank a lot of alcohol and did drugs during my sophomore and junior years of high school. The partying thing was fun while it lasted, but now I believe I need to grow up and take responsibility for my actions and my life. I am changing and I am not perfect by any means, but I have come to realize that my life is precious and I need to respect my life and how I treat my body.

In the beginning of my senior year, I was told it is supposed to be your fun, care free year in high school. It was not like that for me because I had a lot of misfortune. I had two friends die in a car accident. This was one of those misfortunes which I had a very hard time understanding and dealing with. Two months after the car accident I lost an uncle. It was something I could not cope with.

Soon after the deaths I went into a deep depression and started to cut myself. I hated myself for doing it, but did not know how else to cope with the pain and heartbreak. I started to think about how my friends and uncle would react if they could see me doing this to myself. I made the decision to seek help and try to get my life back on track.

The friends I used to party with have not yet come to the same realization as I have. Most of them have dropped out of high school and are still continuing with the partying lifestyle. Their aspect of it is, they only have one life, so live it to the fullest. I do understand why they would feel that way, but there are many ways to live your life to the fullest. I want to become successful and I want to have a family and be someone my children look up to. To me, that would be living life to its fullest.

I came to a massive realization; my life is what makes me who I am. I have never been perfect, and perfection is hard to come by. One has to remember the support they have from family and friends and be able to lean on them and continue living their life. I haven’t forgotten my friends or my uncle who have passed away, and I still think about them all the time. Now I believe they are looking down on me and wanting me to be successful and live my life with dignity, respect and pride.