I believe in keepin your head up

Jacquelin - Jamestown, RI 02835, Rhode Island

As the infamous Tupac eloquently rapped in his song “Smile” “There’s gonna be some stuff you gonna see, thatÕs gonna make it hard to smile in the future. But through whatever you see, through all the rain and the pain, you gotta keep your sense of humor. You gotta be able to smile through all this bullshit. Remember that. Mmm, yeah. Keep ya head up.”

I believe that you should try through “the rain and the pain” to make the best out of the situation, keep truckin, and cut yourself some slack. Feeling badly for your self is simply a waste of time. We all have our moments of moping…some have them much more frequently than others, but through the pain, you have to keep your head up and be positive.

So one lovely day, I didn’t get accepted to Berklee College of Music-My number one school. I had revved myself up months before hand, envisioning myself at the school and knowing that if I received anything but an acceptance letter, I would combust in a flame of anger, disappointment, and pure sadness. Guess what, I didn”t! Yes, I took a double-take at the lovely little phrase in the email “we regret to inform you” that I have had to see a little bit too much for my liking, and yes, I definitely had my moment of disbelief, and nausea, however, after that fifteen minutes of hell, I got myself up off that bed, brushed myself off, and waltzed into Gwen’s room with a grin on my face, saying, “guess what, Berklee didn’t accept me!” Gwen looked at me with a baffled look, not knowing whether or not to hug me out of grief or happiness. Regardless, she hugged and condoled me. “Jacccc.. I’m so sorry!” Whether or not I was just numb at that point, or had gotten over the hurtful truth abnormally quickly, I really don’t know…But what I do know is that life goes on and you have to keep your head up as Tupac tells us to. Take a deep breath, smile, and continue onward, because in the long run every little thing’s going to be alright.

Come fall, I will be attending University of Rhode Island, majoring in music, and I have faith that everything’s going to work out. Life is about making the best out your current situation and I plan on doing so at URI. Yes, Berklee didnÕt admit me, despite having told me that I was a perfect fit following my audition, but somewhere and somehow on that day of rejection, I knew that everything was actually quite fine. I began to think that maybe Berklee wasn’t the place for me after all-despite all of the visions I had of me as a Berklee student. Maybe I was just so caught up in the idea of Berklee that I didn’t really take the time to think or acknowledge the fact that I would be fine wherever I would end up. We often rev ourselves up so much, making ourselves believe that if something doesn’t go as planned or imagined, the alternative is in-fact equivalent to hell, when its not at all! It is very seldom that things go as planned and I believe that regardless of what road you take, you can still make it to your desired destination. I believe that through the rain and the pain, you can still make it out just fine, maybe even better.