Societal Faults

Brad - Pepperell, Massachusetts

Societal Faults

When I was six years old my parents got divorced. A couple of weeks ago I was sitting at home watching T.V. casually flipping through the channels. After passing Sports Center, TBS, and FX, I came to one of those low cost production channels, which surprisingly has interesting shows, my favorite being the one about what it’s like to be arrested and locked up for a night, but tonight wasn’t about criminals, it was about Cheaters! I instantly became sucked into this show about men and women cheating on their significant others, and I could feel butterflies in my stomach as the cheating partner was confronted with video evidence. However my butterflies soon turned to a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because I realized that in our society today, it is the trendy thing to cheat on your significant other. It was amazing the chain reaction of thoughts I had from watching the show about cheaters, but the most depressing yet important thing that the show made me think of was that our nation has one of the highest divorce rates in the world.

The last memory I have of my parents being together was: It was a bright day and me and my Mom were leaving my Dad’s house because they had got into a giant fight. My Dad was lying in the pool on one of those rafts that was long enough to lay on, but also has the neck support, and a cup holder on either side of it. As my Mom and I were leaving I remember she refused to tell him where we were going, and he quickly replied with a comment about how she was going to see her other boyfriend. I was very confused why he would accuse her of cheating on him, and it has taken me twelve years to figure it out. My parents did not get divorced because they were cheating on one another, there were just not meant to be together, but at the end of the marriage I could see how my Dad could have these thoughts with all these shows about cheaters, commercials about computer programs to catch your spouse cheating, if you search “is my wife cheating on me” on Google there are nine hundred and ninety-five thousand hits for that question. However my dad was confused, sure it was an easy cop-out for him to accuse my mother of cheating, but it was at the end of the marriage, and he was looking for an easy way out to cover his tracks of being a terrible husband.

So basically seeing how some things in our society made my father think at the end of my parents marriage, I believe that the woman I marry, I will trust with all of my heart, because I do not want to be the husband that doubts his wife due to societal faults.