I Believe In Challenging Time’s Threat by Creating Connections

Elizabeth - gwynedd, Pennsylvania

We’ve hit, for many of us, probably the most colossal time period in our lives thus far. Based on these speeches I think we’re all apprehensive and overwhelmed, but I also think each one of us knows that we can make it. I’m scared to take the next step, but you all made me feel at peace with moving on, so I hope I can do the same for you.

Time is the king of limitations. Every moment, weather it be part of your honeymoon or a shower, goes by in the same amount of time regardless of how long you’ve waited. I’m afraid too many of my minutes will go by before I even realize they’re gone. One of my ultimate fears is that one day when I’m old and decrepit and have nothing left but memories; I won’t have enough noteworthy moments to recount to my grandkids that will leave them inspired and in awe. But I hope I can ease all of our fears in saying that I believe time can actually be held on to forever, and just when we think we’ve run out of our share is actually when we have the most…all accumulated hopefully from a fulfilling life. How do I think we can achieve this? By connections.

For me, the invaluable connections is with the song whose lyrics say exactly what I’m thinking, but can’t seem to articulate…with reflection of the wide-eyed girl in the train window who just couldn’t take in all the new crazy scenes whizzing by…with the painting whose brilliant colors capture an unknown dimension to which I wish I could escape…with the sound of my shoes squeaking across the tennis court…and with the picture that holds countless memories from times I wouldn’t trade for the world.

If we absorb things deeply and genuinely enough, they can become part of us, so that time can never take them away. We should make memories out of everything we appreciate and allow our souls to soak in every drop it can embrace. I believe in challenging time’s greed by finding power in even the simplest of things that can provide satisfaction and fulfillment that won’t disappear in a minute, month, or year.

I will be able to recall my song and my painting when I’m in a completely new chapter of my life, or at least recall how they made me feel. And when I do, they’ll let me know that I did live a passionate, fulfilling life and that time’s threat did not get the best of me.

We will all do the same, and be just fine.