Trust Thyself and No One Else

Lauren - Manhattan, Montana

I believe you can’t depend on anyone else; you can only depend on yourself. I believe people will let you down if you give them the chance. I believe people will try to change you if they see fault in who or what you are. I believe people will abuse you if you give them enough of yourself, and I believe your heart will get broken if you give it away.

I can’t give you any specific examples simply because I don’t trust you. I don’t trust anyone. I believe nothing can be gained from trust; it only gives you a false sense of security, an artificial bond. It tricks you into letting your guard down and thinking your safe, and for this reason, you can’t depend on anyone else; you can only depend on yourself.

I believe people with the best intentions often hurt you the most. People who are the closest cut you the deepest. No matter how much you want to love them, or how much you do, no matter how much you want to trust them, you can’t because in the end all you’re left with are broken promises, crushed hopes and dreams, and more pain that you ever imagined possible. For this reason, you can’t depend on anyone else; you can only depend on yourself.

Now I still can’t give you any specific examples simply because I don’t want your pity. I am not different from anyone else. We all have our quirks, our fears. I do not want people to look at me differently because of my circumstances or hardships. They are mine and no one else’s. You need not know the gruesome details of my infinite accounts of disappointment and heartache simply because they need not be shared, for disappointment and heartache follow you wherever you go, like a shadow, if you forget that you can’t depend on anyone else; you can only depend on yourself.

This I believe. I believe you can’t depend on anyone else; you can only depend on yourself. This I truly believe.