Alysha - Princeton, Illinois

This I believe. I believe in sticking to what you say. I just recently began thinking this last summer when I detassled corn. My friend told me that it was really easy, and a quick way to earn money. So I signed up with her to detassle for two weeks. The first day we had to get up at four in the morning, and we went to the local Subway restaurant to wait for the bus to come get us. I’ll admit I didn’t really enjoy getting up that early because just days before I was getting up at one or two in the afternoon. When the bus came we rode around for maybe two hours or so to get to the field we were to detassle that day. The bus ride was okay, but when we got there I expected it to be easier than it was. The first field we went in was very long and I kept getting hit in the eye with the corn stalks. By lunch I was extremely tired, and I was not looking forward to going back in the fields. We finished by three and rode the bus back home. I had to walk home that day. As soon as I got back, I called my father and told him that I wasn’t going back to detassle the next day or ever again. He then talked to me, and reminded me that when I signed up I was told I was not allowed to quit. I argued with him for quite a while after that, but he would not change his mind. So I was forced again to get up at four in the morning the next day and go back to detassle. Walking through the fields, my arms and hands got scratched by the corn leaves, and by then end of the day my eyes were always red from the corn stalks that kept hitting them. The corn fields were quite wet in the morning, and one day it rained the whole time we were there. By the end of those two weeks, I was extremely tired of being in those cornfields.

Then, I realized at the end that it was a good thing I didn’t quit because it taught me to believe in what I say. I learned that if you say you’re going to do something then you should stick with it until the end. I plan on using what I learned through my whole life, because it will most likely help me. I signed up for detasseling again this year.