Mission trip of love

Caitlin - Princeton, Illinois
Themes: love

I am in eighth grade and I believe in the power of love. With love I can usually accomplish anything. I think love is the most powerful thing on earth. Helping little kids that are poor or are just orphans just touches my heart in so many ways. This summer I am going to Mexico on a mission trip for my church and we are going to help people build homes, go to orphanages, and make people laugh. I will do drama or puppets. I don’t really like these things, but I will do whatever I can to help or just make people smile.

When I watch T.V. and see the commercials of little kids trying to survive and sending them money just to have something to drink for a day, I sit there and wonder about how I can help them and now I have the opportunity to. I love being with children and trying to take care of them. I have a niece and nephew that I baby sit all the time. When I see those commercials when I am babysitting them, I sit there and think how lucky my niece and nephew are to have a home and a family when all those kids and people have nothing.

This summer when I go see all those people I will remember how I feel now and try to help them as much as possible. Surviving in this world can be very hard, and when I visit those people I will know what it feels like. In Mexico I could have no bed; it just depends on where we stay at. We had a meeting about it and the other adults told me that they had nothing to sleep on so we have to bring sleeping bags. They also told me that they had to sleep on bleachers. They never even really slept, but had to kind of just rest their eyes because they had to make sure they didn’t fall off the bleachers. When I experience this I will be miserable, but know that I am luckier than some people in this world.

Helping little children makes my heart melt. Just looking at their faces even if I’m doing a little thing like reading them a story, they smile. Looking at their beautiful smiles makes me feel good inside. I plan to help more people and children as I grow and mature more over the years. I believe in helping people. I believe in making them smile. I believe in love.