Michael - Princeton, Illinois

This I Believe Essay

I believe in the power of teddy bears. For when you are a child, a teddy bear gives you comfort when you are sad or lonely. When you are a teenager if you can be a guy and show a soft side, like a teddy bear, then you can make many friends and be a good friend to others. Finally, when you are an adult, it’s okay to have a soft side, especially when taking care of children.

Children cry a lot, and when they cry they just cuddle up into their teddy bear because they believe that it can help them and be their friend. Being a teenager and having a caring or soft side can make you an easy person to talk to, just like a child’s teddy bear. I have never had any enemies or people that hate me or make fun of me. Just being nice, easy to talk to, and caring, has earned me many very good friends. When you are an easy person to talk to, you may rub off on others so that they listen to your problems as well. If you listen and help other people, this would be an example of showing a soft side.

Having a soft side can also help you in being a parent or just taking care of little kids. Kids need a person that is extremely close to them to talk to about their problems. If you take the time to listen to them, help them, and always be there for them, you would be the best parent you could possibly be. Kids would then have someone to look up to, and have someone that they know will always be there for them.

In conclusion, I believe that when you are understanding and caring throughout life that you can make many friends, be a good friend, and be a good parent as well. Don’t worry if you get made fun of by some people because you aren’t “manly,” that’s just one person, and you have plenty more people who do like you for who you are.