I believe that teens need to know the dangers of alcohol.

Jasmine - Wyanet, Illinois

I believe that teens need to know the truth about under-aged drinking. I was only fourteen years old when I noticed all the drugs and alcohol that surround me and my friends at school. We always hear the famous, “everyone is doing it!” and yet, for some reason, we never give in. Some people feel that eighth grade is supposed to be one of the best years of their life and they should just live a little and not care. Well, that is wrong. Just the other day my older sister, who is eighteen, and I were talking. She was telling me how when she was my age she was getting pressured into doing a lot of things that she didn’t want to do and giving me advice on how to stay away from it. She told me a story about one night she will never forget.

It was late at night and my sister and her friends were all hanging out at their friend’s house in the middle of the country. No one was there besides them and they decided to bring out some alcohol. My sister’s friends drank a lot that night, and they didn’t even realize one of their friends was passed out on the couch. They thought that she was just sleeping and would be fine. At about one o’clock in the morning the cops showed up and some of the kids started running while the others stayed. My sister was part of the people who stayed. Luckily, she hadn’t been drinking so she didn’t get into any trouble, but the girl on the couch was still “sleeping”, after the cops came inside the house. When they tried to wake her up, she wouldn’t even budge. She was still breathing, but she didn’t move. They called the ambulance and found out that she had really bad alcohol poisoning. Fifteen more minutes and she would have died. How terrible it would have been if the cops showed up fifteen minutes later and she was dead. They all could have been in a lot of trouble even if it wasn’t their fault.

That is why we have to get it into teenagers’ heads that under-aged drinking is not okay, but that it’s wrong and can take away life just as fast as it gives you one. Under aged drinking may be “popular” as some people would say, but who’s going to be the one laughing in twenty years when the big drinkers in high school and junior high end up acting completely different than what they want to and will be a lot more slow then the others who didn’t drink.