We Split

Lindsay - Princeton, Illinois

We Split

I believe that life moves on. True friendships don’t always last as long as you think they will. I have been best friends with someone for a very long time, and now we’ve split.

I was in kindergarten and Nadia was too. We weren’t in the same class, and we never talked. She was the artist everyone loved, and I was the nerd. Then as we progressed through a grade, we were in the same class and our teacher paired us up for projects a few times. We got to know each other, and I found out that she really didn’t like it when all the other kids crowded around her desk and marveled over her spectacular drawings. She discovered more about me, and we became friends. We didn’t go to each other’s houses yet, but we did talk and hang out during recess together.

As we got older and moved into fourth and fifth grade, Nadia and I were inseparable. She was in a different class than me so we couldn’t talk together as much, but we had the same lunch hour and we always saw each other in the halls. We had a few classes together in fifth grade when we had bell schedules. The teacher sometimes had to tell us specifically to “be quiet!”

Then as we got into junior high, I started hanging out with other girls and Nadia found other good friends too. We still hung out almost every day, but we didn’t talk as much in class. She wanted to be partners with someone else and not me. I wasn’t too bothered by it because I wanted to be partners with one of my newer friends.

As seventh and eighth grade came into the picture, Nadia started hanging out with the kind of people that weren’t her type. We hardly talked anymore except for a simple “hi,” but that was it. She cut her hair into something really wacky. She stopped wearing her sister’s cute hand-me-down clothes, and wore funky shirts that were too tight or jeans that had holes in them. I was worried that our friendship was at an end, and that the promise we made in first grade, that we would be best friends forever, was slowly fading. I knew this for a fact because as eighth grade came to a close, we never even said “hi” anymore in the halls. Actually I had found a new best friend and so had she. We were splitting like a piece of wood being chopped in half, and I wasn’t too thrilled about it but I did understand her reasoning.

After this experience, I have discovered the true meaning of the statement, “Life moves on.” I made a promise with a friend that we would always be best friends forever until the day we died. That didn’t happen. But you can always find someone or something that is even better, and I did. Life truly does move on.