The Touch of a Smile

Mydung - Denver, Colorado

Back when I was little, the thing that I feared the most was talking to strangers. I didn’t even dare look at them in the eye, nor did I ever say hi to them. This probably explained why I didn’t have very many friends back then. People just thought that I was quite, therefore I didn’t like to laugh or smile; but really I just found smiling to strangers odd. It was until high school that I came across this quote, which altered my life completely. This quote was “Don’t ever frown because you’ll never know who is falling in love with your smile.”

After reading this quote for the first time, I finally realized the beauty behind a smile. I thought to myself, “Hmm, I want somebody to fall in love with my smile, too.” Believe me, It takes a long time just to master the art of smiling. After much practicing, I decided to show my smile off to the world and make many people fall in love with it. From then on , I have always smiled and said hi to strangers.

My friends thought that I was weird for smiling at everyone I passed by, but they also believed that I was one whose smile could really brighten others days. For example, just last week my friends and I went to Denny’s. We walked towards the table and took a seat. I looked around, and when I turned to the back, I noticed an old man. He was sitting there all alone. I’m not sure if he was lonely or not, but either way I want to let him know that he wasn’t alone. So, I turned my head around every 15 minutes just to give him a smile. In the end, I decided to said “hi” and to my surprise he actually said “hi” back.

We talked for a little bit and then I got back to my eating.

About 10 minutes late, he walked to our table and patted me on my shoulder. He said:

“I’ll pray for you and everyone else here along with their families.” I was shocked, but what made me even happier was the last sentence he left with me.

“Oh and Thank You for your smile.” That was all he said.

This might mean nothing to other people, but to me it has meant everything. After that night, I believe that a smile is better than any other kind of communication.