I Believe In Heroes

Allison - Princeton, Illinois

I believe in heroes. I believe that in everyone there is potential to become the best either physically or mentally. I believe that heroes have the power to help out others, do the right thing, and grow stronger from rude comments.

I’ve grown up with a friend who wasn’t as smart as everyone our age, but you really couldn’t tell. We’ve attended the same schools our whole lives and even the same churches. She lives with her godparents and they’re close friends with my parents. When we were younger, none of us kids ever worried or cared about anything. After a while though, we all started to notice each others’ insecurities. Everyone would feed upon them as if these issues were their ultimate meal, and then inform us about what they had figured out or had been told. They wouldn’t stop until they got what they wanted, to be noticed, and to have power over their prey. This never really stopped, and I know it probably won’t, but I wish it would. The world would be better off without bullying and so would Junior High, that’s when the ridicules got out of hand.

We only had Phys. Ed. together but I still heard them. I can remember one day when we had a track and field day and it was my friends’ turn. We were doing weird events that normal track and fielders never really participate in. There were many activities, but I remember the beanie bag race clearly. The beanie bag race was a race where you walk a certain way forward and back with a beanie bag on your head. Well, most of us had problems with it but no one really got on our backs about it. When it dropped from our noggins we just laughed it off, picked it back up again and continued walking -but walking more with a smirk. When she walked over to the marked station and grabbed the beanie bag from my hand, she put it on her head and started walking. She did as well as everyone else did. However, when she dropped it the first time a bunch of kids snickered to themselves and their friends. I knew it wasn’t cool to let them taunt her, but I didn’t know what I could’ve done. She kept walking to the cone and hadn’t dropped it by that time, but then it slipped. She picked it up and started walking back. She continued even with some of our peers smiling behind their hands or just leaving their smirking faces in plain sight. I kept hoping that it would be over quickly and she would not have to endure that any longer. Finally, when she was done and handed the beanie bag to the next teammate, I heard one of the popular guys yell out, “What a retard,” and laugh hysterically. That’s when I looked at her and realized her face was peaceful. Then I thought, “That’s what a hero is.”