Hard Work

Charlie - Lowell, Massachusetts
Themes: sports, work

Hard work, hard work can get you almost anywhere in life. I believe that if you want something and you work hard enough you can achieve any goal. Working your hardest day in and day out will improve your chances of becoming anything you want. Whether you wan to be a doctor, a pro athlete, the best garbage man, or whatever it is you want to be, you have to put forth the hard work. I believe that with hard work you can achieve anything.

I have always been a lackadaisical kind of kid until I came to Lawrence Academy. I have had my goals and dreams but I never thought that I would be able to achieve them. My dad always told me that if I worked hard enough I could do anything. Whether it was school or hockey I always had to work hard for both. It didn’t matter what I was doing I had to work hard. When first arriving at the Academy I had terrible grades. School was not my finest class seeing as I started out with a 1.8 GPA. Now when I am about to graduate I will leave this place with a 3.0 GPA. It took a lot of hard work just to get there, and that GPA wasn’t even the best I could do. I wanted to be a good student so that’s what I worked hard for. I was also staying awake in every class, in the past I had just slept and hide in the back. I went to math extra help every night before study hall started. No grade was going to be given to me unless I deserved it and that’s why I worked hard.

Hockey was another thing that took a lot of hard work. I never knew what it was like to play against some of the top players in the New England area until I came here. My dad always said, “You need to work hard on and off the ice if you want to play at this level”, so that’s what I did. I knew it wouldn’t be easy. Watching TV one day I saw a UFC show and one of the fighters said, “If it was this easy then everyone would be doing it.” I knew that he meant it takes a lot of work to be the best. I wanted to be the best player I could be so that’s what I worked so hard for. On-ice I would focus and never give up, working hard through every battle making sure I never lost. Off-ice I would work hard in the weight room and my dad would say, “You have to be bigger, faster, and stronger in order to play at the next level”. It was going to take a lot of work to achieve what I wanted to achieve. I spent every morning during the summer working out and trying to be in the best shape I could be in. There is nothing better than working hard for something you want because in the end no one will give it to you, you have to earn it.

That’s when I started to believe in hard work. When I was winning every battle on-ice and getting the best grades I could get. I know that the hard work paid off when I became All ISL in hockey and I made the honor role for the first time at the Academy. I know that the hard work I did off-ice or out of the classroom had paid off. Nothing is ever given to you; hard work is always needed to do what you want to do. I believe that hard work will allow you to achieve any goal.