stereotypes doesn’t who I am

stevie - boston, Massachusetts

Stereotypes doesn’t define who I am

In my life, the stereotype that I’m put into is being inferior in the classroom because of my background as well as being an athlete. Before I didn’t care about school and how I did in school. But one day when I was in middle school I remembered the lecture my assistance principal gave me. She told me, “Your playing right into the stereotypes that minorities don’t achieve in school which sometimes causes them not to have a successful job when their older”. After I heard her say this, it affected me and still affect me to this day. Because of this it caused me to work harder, not to put myself in this stereotype.

I hear it all the time from the kids at school. Maybe they’re playing around but when grades come out, students ask me what my grades are and their surprised. They didn’t imagine that a person of my background as well as an athlete can have a grade point average of at least 3.0. But what causes this stereotype is past athletes and minorities not doing what they’re supposed to do and receiving bad grades. I’m not saying that it makes it right to judge people by their background because people are different. Don’t judge a book by its cover because when you really get to know a person, you’ll find things about them that you never expect to know.

Minorities and athletes are not the only people in school that have trouble or who are not doing what they need to do. So, why do people think that way about all minorities or athletes. People are different; it doesn’t matter of the color of your skin. Witnessing the stereotype brought by being a minority at school and the struggle with that changed how I am now. Because it forced me to prove people wrong and prove to myself that I can be successful in the classroom and in life.