I believe that my family comes first, no matter what

Matthew - pepperell, Massachusetts

I believe that my family comes first, no matter what I believe that my family comes first, no matter what. Every family has its ups and downs. And every family has its deaths and births. My family has had many downs and not so many ups. And my family has had its share of deaths. […]

I believe that my family comes first, no matter what. Every family has its ups and downs. And every family has its deaths and births. My family has had many downs and not so many ups. And my family has had its share of deaths. My aunts and uncles added some very interesting people to this family and it’s not easy to get along with them.

When I was younger, my mother always told me to never talk to strangers. She would say, “There’s no need to talk to people you don’t know, they are dangerous and could hurt you.” She made me believe that the people that are already in my life are the ones who I should associate myself with. I never liked my family. This is because my family is filled with screw ups and bad people. I helped my family more times than I can remember. Everyday there was another cousin hooked on heroin, or an aunt or uncle who had gone broke. And the worst part about it was that none of them would ever attempt to help themselves. I would see people everyday that needed help and I wouldn’t help them because I was to busy helping my own relatives. Maybe if I did help those people, they would change. But I never did help them, I stuck to my family.

As I grew older, I began to realize something; that there is no limit to how much you can help your family. You could help your family once in your life, or a thousand times in your life but you can’t give up on your family. I wanted to help the entire world, but I couldn’t. I realized most of this from my brother going to college.

When my brother went to college, he had a very difficult time settling in to the college lifestyle. He would spend all his money on beer and would never save any of it. So during his winter term of his first year, he had a mental breakdown. He was out of money, failing all his classes, and didn’t know who to turn to. When I heard about this, I immediately called him. I made it clear to him that we were his family and that he can call us whenever he needed something. So I sent him two hundred dollars, and made frequent visits to him at college to make sure that he was on track.

He eventually got back on track, and then off track again. I realize that what I did only delayed the inevitable, but I also realize that it was the right thing to do. My family does come first, no matter what.