Everyone Deserves Two Breaks

James - 01741, Massachusetts

Since my middle school days to even now in high school I appear to most people as a tense individual. Many people think that I come across as mean, cold, a true pessimist. I don’t usually smile and you’re lucky if you get a wave in the hall. I admit that my demeanor may come across in this way, but I am really a nice person once introduced or approached. I am most likely this way because being solemn and indifferent is the best defense for harsh people. I believe that everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

Throughout my high school career I have witnessed, fell victim too, and victimized people because of what they say and how they act. I know I am wrong when I give someone a hard time, because I know how it feels when I am tormented. When I observe this sometimes I think the person that are receiving the criticism deserve it because they have been the tormentor before, but the reality is that nothing is accomplished by giving someone a hard time because it causes dislike or hate and discomfort. Most of the time after I have been made fun of, I go and make fun of someone else because I feel better about myself knowing that I am not the most unusual person around. If somebody in a position to make someone else feel bad and gives the person the benefit of the doubt instead, then no bad can come from it, they are just taking a stand and putting a stop to a never ending cycle. If one person resists the push to conform to mainstream society of constant harassment then maybe others will follow this example and put the fault on the guilty community.

In life I have encountered and will encounter many different types of people with different attitudes and backgrounds. I believe some people don’t mean to come across as rude or insensitive, dumb, or too intellectual, they just don’t know how to come across when meeting a new person. The problem is not that people act abnormal trying to fit in, the problem is that people feel they have to act a certain way to be accepted and fitting in is what almost everyone strives for. Acceptance haunts us from a young age; I had to perform well in school for my parent’s approval and for my admittance to LA. I had to strive to fit in academically, athletically, and socially in high school like most adolescences. And finally the big one that is now a relief, acceptance into college, which we work towards from the first time we step foot in the classroom. Acceptance drives not only an individual but the community, which is one of our biggest downfalls, because of this, people act differently then what they normally would.

This is why everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt because if given this benefit then people have the opportunity to show their true selves. A person that is unable to give people the opportunities that they deserve is only lessoning themselves because they are losing the friendship and respect of the people they don’t give the benefit of the doubt. Everyone deserves two breaks, this I believe.