Discovering Truth

Chelsea - Belgrade, Montana

There is no one event or story that illustrates my core belief, because my belief is so broad that there are thousands of instances that confirm it in so many different ways every day that to enumerate them would take decades if not years, in fact, my entire life up to and including this point to do so. There is, however, an instant that really brought this belief into focus.

When my AP Composition class began preparing to write our This I Believe papers, we listened to various authors, published and not, who had contributed to this amazing program. One of the ones we listened to was Penn Jillette’s. His core belief had to do with being an atheist, but focused not on his disbelief in God, but his belief that we are all responsible for ourselves – it is up to each individual to be good and not to rely upon later forgiveness for not doing something right the first time. The things that he said were things that I (who believe without a doubt that God lives) believe, and I always find it amazing when others who don’t believe in God, live their lives in such a way as to be, often times, better than those who call themselves Christians. I have often wondered, how? How can people who do not know the truths of the Gospel and the teachings of Christ have anything with which to guide them to act with kindness, to act with goodness?

I believe the answer lies in the fact that these things are true. No matter where I live, no matter what or who’s around me, kindness will always bring me true happiness and joy, living a good life will always give me a feeling of success, which I could not obtain any other way. Whether I believe in God or not, these things are underlying currents of truth that, for one reason or another, resonate in the earth to bring happiness and joy to those who discover them. They are always there: kindness, goodness, learning to get along with your siblings, sacrifice. I believe they have existed from the beginning of time and will exist for all of eternity. They are not changeable they simply exist, like atoms and molecules. They have always existed; we just needed to discover them.

I believe truth exists as it is, a pure form that I cannot change nor alter, no matter how much I may desire to find joy in doing those things that run contradictory to its current. I can fight the tide all I want, but the truth is, it’s still there, and fighting just makes me tired. I believe in truth: I love kindness and goodness no matter whom it stems from, and that’s the truth.