Remember a Time When…?

Lauren - Bermuda Dunes, California

It was a Thursday night and I was the closing host of the evening. The night had gone smoothly; everyone seemed to be happy eating their meals and enjoying conversations. I was waiting for 11pm to hit the clock so I could work on my chemistry project at home. Then I saw it from across the room, the gesture that blew my mind.

A first time guest of the restaurant had slid his arm across the table knocking a mess of steak and mashed potatoes along with his iced tea to the carpet, a mess that I would later have to clean up. Apparently he was upset about the way his steak was cooked but what had upset me was the fact that he hadn’t asked me to help him fix the problem he “solved” it himself. At this point I was shocked, for the first time in 2 years that I had worked at Applebee’s I had never seen such rude behavior!

I believe that manners should be a universal gesture and not a burden. My generation should be taught what respect and ethics are. I always hear the elders talk about how the kids today have no manners and it is true. Nowadays it’s okay to drop the f-bomb in public and to walk out on a bill. It is very uncommon to hear the words please and thank you. Even when I do hear them they don’t sound sincere. What ever happened to opening the door for others and holding up the elevator for the frantic intern? Those gestures no longer exist and it is truly sad.

Some manners area given but it is amazing how some people are so blind. It would truly be a sight to see someone treat another with decency because it is so uncommon but also because it is only fair to treat others the way we would like to be treated. With a simple gesture people wouldn’t be so hostel towards one another. It is funny though how behavior can be like a mirror and reflected. One time an older man came up to me and said “You have the prettiest smile, you should show your pearls all the time,” that simple remark made the rest of my day.

We still get the grumpy people who waltz into the building looking for an argument to pick; I tend to ignore it reminding myself that there is no way of changing people especially if you just met them. However, I do see kindness every now and again but it is usually only between the older cliental. They were taught at a day and age when respect was crucial. I just wish it was the same for my generation.