Life is Precious

Sarah - Princeton, Illinois

Life is Precious

This I believe that life is more precious than we think. Taking care of my dad made me think a lot about this. When I was six years old my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I didn’t know much about it until it got serious. My sister and I took turns every night taking care of him, and having a great time. He and I would sit up and watch The Three Stooges and Indiana Jones. But our all time favorite was McLintock. I was always bothered when family and friends came to visit during our time. I mean, how many people can you fit in a small hospital room? I always wondered what my sister did with him, but I didn’t care because I probably had more fun.

There was an awful experience I will never forget, but don’t remember much of it. One night, in the middle of the night, I was snatched out of my bed and was being led somewhere. My sister was pulling me out of my bed to be in hers. I was so scared, I had no idea what was going on. I finally realized what had happened when I saw my dad sitting in the dinning room with an EMT man standing over him. As soon as I got to my sister’s room, I saw the flashing lights. Suddenly everything was in slow motion, and I knew from that moment on, things would be different.

My dad did pass away, not the night of the EMT call, he actually lasted about three months more. I lay in the waiting room thinking what to do next. I decided I would step it up a little bit. I would begin to help out around the house doing chores and lawn work. I really dreamed big at eight years old. Here I am thirteen, and I’ve kept my promise. I do my best to take care of my mom and my sister. I miss my dad, but who wouldn’t? I think of him daily, and I know that he would be proud of me for what I’ve done through the years. I know he’s still with me wherever I go, is watching me score the first soccer goal of the season, and is always there when I’m upset. I was heartbroken, but I moved on and am now the happiest girl because I know life is more precious than ever. And I’m doing great, because I believe.