I Believe in God

Allison - Princeton, Illinois

Has something amazing and completely mind-blowing ever happened to you? Has it ever seemed like luck and fate were working in your favor? Then you’ve experienced God’s hand at work. I believe in God. One seemingly lucky event stands out in my mind, an event that seemed insignificant at the time.

It was late August the night of the Jr. Miss Bureau County Fair Queen pageant. The winners had just been announced, and I was talking to my friends and family. Everyone was coming up to me and telling me how great I’d done. I was chatting with my friends when suddenly my mom pushed her cell phone to my ear. She mouthed “It’s your grandma” to me before turning to talk to my dad.

“Hi Allison, I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to watch you,” my grandma said. “I’m so proud of you. I can’t wait to see you!”

We talked for a few minutes before I had to hang up. I handed the cell phone back to my mom and continued talking to my friends. I didn’t think about the phone call until a few weeks later.

Earlier the same day, my grandma had been waiting at the hospital to have surgery performed near her brain. She was waiting to have an aneurysm removed, but the doctor never showed up at the hospital. She’d been waiting there all day when she decided to call me. She told me the surgery had been moved to the beginning of September.

The day of my grandma’s surgery, we got another phone call. This one was much more serious. My grandma wasn’t responding well to the surgery. She’d been put in the ICU. Worried, my family quickly packed our bags and raced down to Missouri.

The next few days were a tearful blur. Nothing felt quite real. Then, on September 8th, I was woken up by my brother and was told that Dad wanted to talk to us. Dad was crying. I’d never seen him cry before and it scared me. I already knew what had happened without having to ask, and I cried too.

Weeks later, I realized something. The phone call I got from my grandma was the last chance I’d gotten to talk to her. What was even more significant was the fact that if the doctor had shown up that day, I never would’ve gotten that phone call. I knew immediately it was God’s doing. He’s the only one who knows the fate of everyone on earth. He knew what was going to happen, and God gave me the chance to have one last conversation with my grandma. This seemingly lucky event strengthened my faith and belief in God. No matter what’s going on in our lives, good or bad, I belief it’s a part of a plan God has for us. Seemingly unconnected events can come together in the blink of an eye by God’s doing and make us realize how lucky we truly are. This I believe.