Life-Guide 101

Nikita - Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

I believe that you should always try to find the ‘good’ life has to offer because more times than less you will not deserve the ‘bad’. It always boils down to this one rudimentary question that has been asked throughout the ages: why do bad things happen to good people? I do not know what the right response to this question is nor can I pretend to even know the answer, but I can guarantee that there is a way out of this tricky matter. All you have to do is trust me, because whatever it is that YOU believe, I bet I can make you believe in something much better. So, let me revise my former statement: Bad things happen to good people but good people do not believe in bad things, this is my rule for life.

It happens so many times. I look around at my friends and family, read a magazine, watch the news, and I can only think, how are there such good, honest, kind, selfless people in the world, and why does everything bad happen to them? It is not fair, but then again life is not fair. I can see someone seemingly perfect get rejected from college, the hardest worker I know fail to accomplish a goal, and someone else lose a person they love, and I wonder, why does this happen? What is it that causes such sad, bad things to happen in this world? Every time I think about this, it blows my mind, my ideals, and everything I believe all to pieces. So what if I think that when I work hard I can achieve great things, it’s a nice enough premise to believe in. Unfortunately sometimes this holds true and other times it really does not.

My 18 years have shown me that life is not fair and that working hard does not always yield the greatest of results but this much I know; when you try to find the good in a bad situation, no situation can become truly ‘bad’. Lost basketballs games, failed tests, missed auditions, unfulfilled dreams, social rejections, all the small gaffes you can make in life I have probably already done. As a matter of fact everyone has probably done. But the difference between a broken and bitter man and one who lives life to the fullest is the way he or she deals with the good, the bad, and the ugly, but mostly just the ugly.

So, expect the worst but hope for the best—become a cynical idealist, an oxymoron in itself. Life is all about balance, taking the bitter with the sweet the yin and the yang; it’s this type of thinking that keeps a person grounded. Dream big, think small, and hope for the best but expect the worst; these should be the mottos of life. Ok so think about what I have just said. I mean really think about it. This is brilliant isn’t it, absolutely faultless logic. Well, it may not solve global hunger or world peace, but I know for a fact that it can help you live life more positively and can make even the most die-hard cynic a fan, just ask me, because this is what I believe.