A better place

Brittani - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Themes: death

I believe my last conversation with my maternal great grandmother was in January 2006.My Grandma died in May 2006. She was 88 years old. It is now 2008 and it will be 2 years on May 28th when my great grandmother passed away.

In the early morning of May 11th, as I lay snuggled and slumbering under mounds of blankets, I dreamt I was having a conversation with my great grandmother. The last time I’d seen her was on January 17th which was her birthday. At 84 years old, my great grandmom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. I didn’t find this out until her funeral came around. When I was four, she was in a car accident and had been in a nursing home ever since.

In my dream we were playing a duet on the piano. She loved to play and that is all we did for the whole day. We would sing along to the songs and we would make up our own songs that only we could play. After we were done playing the piano we went on the porch and ate ice cream. She looked at me and told me that I should be the best that I can be and to be thankful for all of the things that I receive in my life. I looked at her and said ok I will. Then we went back inside.

I then thought of my other maternal great grandmother who died November 15, 2006. She had passed away not long after she entered the hospital. I had also dreamt of her shortly after her death. She was at a family gathering and I was baffled to see her, “Why are you here, Grandma? You died.” She didn’t answer, but it didn’t matter. She wasn’t hurt. She was just there among us.

And I also wonder, are my great grandmothers still with me? I’m not talking about dreams in the night. (Although I guess I have been talking about visits in my dreams.) It’s a captivating thought; imagine it those we love never truly leave us. There’s a lot in this world that is theory, man trying to figure it all out. There’s a lot I don’t understand. But this I do know, I am who I am because my great grandmothers were who they were. Their energy…their spirits…love, encircle, and embrace me daily.

And so, this I believe, my last conversation with my great grandmom was in January 2006 but I have a feeling that we will have many more conversations in the future. I am now happy to understand that all is at peace in her new world.