Take Chances

Rahul - ambler, Pennsylvania

John F. Kennedy once preached, “There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.” Throughout my life I have stumbled across many dilemmas, problems, or difficult situations, whether these involved asking a girl to a dance, choosing a major to claim to be studying, or just ordering a dish at a local Chinese restaurant. I believe that throughout life people should confidently take chances by engaging themselves in things that they would have never really considered.

For example this past summer, I was given the opportunity to attend the Pennsylvania Governor’s School for International Studies. Prior to this experience, I proudly characterized myself as Science and Math nerd that spent the majority of my time discovering the intricacies of the Taylor and MaClaurin series while studying immune responses to life-threatening antigens. I have always had an interest in foreign affairs but never really had the opportunity to dive deeper into this interest. Therefore I decided to take a risk and apply to International Studies although though my course work and extra curricular clearly pointed to the Gov School for sciences or even healthcare. Although I still don’t plan on being a diplomat or an international advisor, my PGSIS experience helped me grow in ways besides just affecting my academic interests, it introduced me to whole different side of cultural, linguistical, and political studies. Through this risk of trying something completely off my normal palate, I was able to become more of a worldly person rather than a plain science and math lover.

Thus I believe in trying that exotic sounding meal when going out to dinner, asking the really hot girl to high school dances, and take that art or cooking class that I claimed to never have time for. As a whole, we should all strive to attempt new things and in doing so grow as individuals. We might not always enjoy the path we take or even the results of that path, but through trying we are able to become wiser to ourselves and also the world’s workings. I believe in trying new things and taking chances.